Jake is now attending Temple University Dental School.
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 2010
- Bachelors of Science Biobehavioral Health,
- Cumulative GPA: 3.74/4.0
- Science GPA: 3.5/4.0
Dr. Jeffrey Dorfman (No Relation) – The Center for Special Dentistry, New York, NY
Pre-Dental Internship/Part-time Employee – summer 2010-Present
- Assisted in dental procedures by suctioning and mixing bonding agents
- Observed many procedures including dental implant surgery, wisdom teeth extraction, bonding, bridges, and bleaching.
- Assisted in setting up dental rooms before procedures and clean rooms after procedures.
- Learned how to make patient most comfortable before, during, and after dental procedure.
- Witnessed how Dr. Dorfman treats extremely phobic patients.
- Managed basic front desk duties.
- Escorted patients to room prior to procedure and prepared them for treatment.
- In time, I will learn how to take full mouth x-rays, read and understand radiographs, learn the teeth numbers and the instrument names for each procedure, and assist in diagnosing and treatment planning.
Dr. David Slobodinsky DDS, Philadelphia, PA
Shadow summer 2009
- Watched as he performed many dental procedures including fillings, crowns, bridges, and root canals.
- Spoke extensively with dentist about various aspects of dentistry.
Dr. Gary Nack DDS, Holland, PA – shadow summer 2009
- Watched as he explained and performed various dental procedures, including implants
Activities and Leadership:
Beta Sigma Beta Fraternity, State College, PA, Executive Board Member, Social Chairman May 2007 – May 2008
- Responsible for day to day operations and activities within the fraternity
- Collectively received Chapter of Excellence award for third consecutive year in 2007 (award changed after 2007)
- Raised awareness for the fraternity’s annual philanthropy benefiting Cure Autism Now/Autism Speaks
- Managed the undergraduate social budget and allocated funds from the Fraternity Purchasing Agency account
Volunteer Work/Charity Participation:
- Cure Autism Now/Autism Speaks, State College, PA
- Participated in 3K walk and personally raised over $500 for autism research – April 2007, 2008, 2009
- Penn State Dance Marathon, State College, PA
- Raised money for pediatric cancer research and family support – October – February 2007, 2008, 2009
- Trash for Treasure – State College, PA
- Volunteered to help sort through the goods collected and sort them so they can be sold to people in need – January 2009
- Ronald McDonald House Philadelphia, PA
- Spent the day preparing a home-cooked meal for the families staying there – December 2008
- Family Fun Day for Homeless, Richboro, PA
- Helped organize and set-up event benefiting hundreds of homeless families – December 2004-2010
- Volunteered the day of the event
- Beta State Foundation Scholarship, State College, PA
- Received for leadership within fraternity and academic performance – August 2008
- Dean’s List, University Park, PA
- spring ’10, fall ’09, spring ’09, spring ’08, spring ’07, fall ‘06
- Council Rock South Ice Hockey Most Valuable Player, Holland, PA
- Recipient in 2004 and 2006
- Bobby Chez Crabcakes, Margate, NJ – Server, summer 2008
- Camp Kweebec, Schwenksville, PA, Senior Boys Counselor, summer 2007
- Overnight camp counselor for 8 weeks
- Responsible for safety and overall wellness of a group of 13 year old boys
- Brought them to daily activities
- Holland Day Camp – Richboro, PA, Athletic Specialist, summer 2006
- Responsible for teaching basic skills and rules in basketball, hockey, soccer, football, and baseball
- Ensure the safety of children